Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Cycling holiday -- day 3

The last time I cycled from Framlingham to Southwold, it was a dash between rain and heavy showers. Last time I stayed in the Swan, it rained until I arrived. Today the cloud was building up during the first part of the morning, so I wondered whether unscheduled rain would arrive.

As it was, it turned out bright after about 11:30, but very windy.

St. Andrew's, Covehithe

Church at Covehithe

I took some diversions from the suggested route -- to start with I wanted to avoid places which were too shady, so I could bask in the warmth, but from Peasenhall on, just kept to the long route, with the diversion to Covehithe to see the bits where I'd walked a few years ago, but in better weather. The suggested detour on the minor roard through Cove Bottom was a useful diversion from the main route, which had just been freshly top-dressed and gravelled -- it emerged just about where the resurfacing had stopped, and was on balance a slightly better surface to cycle.


View Larger Map

Lunch at the Blue Lighthouse Brasserie -- scampi and chips, and a much needed pint (but Greene King IPA, as the Broadside was rather too much for lunchtime quaffing on a thirst). Mooched around, read a bit, checked into the hotel, then after a bath, fell asleep.

A quick wander to resupply for the morning (drink to carry), meant that I spotted the wi-fi notice in the lounge, as there was no open signal in the garden rooms where I was staying. Not much privacy either, with huge windows, but otherwise nice chalet style accommodation.

Dinner was duck breast with shredded celeriac and chorizo morsels, pork and lentil with borcolli, potato cubes and pear and pepper puree, followed by a selection of local cheeses, all washed down with a pint of bitter from the brewery around the back.

A stroll in the twilight, then back to the lounge to blog and stuff.

No comments :